Thursday, February 9, 2017

Cordes sur Ciel

Well this place was certainly a gem.  Didn't expect to go here nor did we plan it.  It was a spontaneous and very quick visit.  I think we stayed an hour.  Cordes-sur-Ciel has to be my most favourite place in France.  Approaching the city from the car was like a magical scene.  It's perched on the top of a hill just like that.  Gorgeous.  Like nothing else I've ever seen in France on this whole trip.  It was our last day and we sealed it with visiting the most amazing place.  It was built around 1222 by Raimon VII, Count of Toulouse.  It is the first bastide ever to be built.  I hope to return to this magical place and spend a day here.
Turquoise shutters!!!!  OMG!!  Love! 

Just beautiful

Walking up to the top on a cobbled road.  Yes, road.  Cars use this road all the time.

Almost there...
Another amazing blue door.

Love these old stone planters.
I don't think anybody is home.

There was nobody in this gallery.  I assume the photos on the wall is the artist and possibly, owner.  Unique studio.  Check out that wonky bridge in the doorway.

Another part of the unique gallery.  You can see another photo of the owner/artist.

Again, this big carving in the most intriguing gallery.

Smile!!  We're all on camera!  Dereck, Gary and Laurie.  I met Laurie 2 days before we left.  So glad to have met her, we had some fun times together.

A glimpse into the past.  I'm not sure if the upper part of this building is lived in or even what it used to be, but what a glorious sight.

I just LOVE all the old doorways and brickwork.  This amazing town must have some fantastic stories to tell.

Cordes cat.

Alas, we had to leave.

Driving by as we departed Cordes.

Bye bye Cordes.....I hope to see you again.



No comments: